Community Outreach Worker – Adult Outpatient – Mental Health & Addictions
- Company Name Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Salary Offer $31.2 - 39.4 per hour
- Job Start Date Sat, 19 Jun 2021 06:51:36 GMT
- Job Type Full Time - Permanent
Job title: Community Outreach Worker – Adult Outpatient – Mental Health & Addictions
Company: Nova Scotia Health Authority
Job description: Req ID: 114566
Location: Western Zone, Yarmouth Regional Hospital
Department: MHA WZ Adult YRH
Type of Employment: Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Union Status: NSGEU
Posting Closing Date: 24-Jun-21
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Health Services Manager, the Community Outreach Worker (COW) provides a range of clinical services to adults and their families affected by mental illness and/or substance use or gambling disorder. The COW may be working in both clinic and community settings providing a wide range of services including screening, assessment, brief intervention, case management/navigation, individual and group treatment. This position will play a key role in navigation, advocacy, and the coordination of resources and services within Mental Health and Addictions and the community. He/she must be knowledgeable and use principles of harm reduction, community development and psychosocial rehabilitation PSR). He/she will serve as a resource to colleagues, clients and family members and will create and enrich linkages with organizations and agencies within their community.
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Must be registered or eligible for registration with professional regulatory body.
- One year post BSW clinical experience in mental health and addictions
- Screening and risk assessment skills, including suicide risk assessment
- This role requires a high degree of independent practice, excellent assessment skills, and the ability to implement an evidenced based plan of care.
- Working knowledge of the DSM
- Experience in offering brief, supportive intervention strategies focusing on harm reduction and recovery
- Ability to navigate and de-escalate situations and offer crisis support.
- Group facilitation skills.
- Ability to use motivational interviewing skills and engage with clients/families
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
- Successful external applicants are required to provide a criminal record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search) to People Services before starting employment and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Full-time (100%) long-assignment; 75.00 hours bi-weekly.
With an anticipated start date of August 9, 2021 and an expected end date of September 13, 2022 (approximately 13 months).
These dates are approximate and may be subject to change.
Community Outreach Worker (HTH008):
$31.20 – $39.40 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
- Criminal Record Check
- Proof of education & training certifications
- Proof of any additional required qualification
- Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
- Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
- Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Healthcare bargaining unit – NSGEU position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Expected salary: $31.2 – 39.4 per hour
Location: Yarmouth, NS
Job date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 06:51:36 GMT