Cook, Part Time, Permanent_Westview Community
- Company Name Silvera for Seniors
- Job Start Date Wed, 10 Aug 2022 22:10:22 GMT
- Job Type Part Time
- Job Source Careerjet
Job title: Cook, Part Time, Permanent_Westview Community
Job description: DO YOU WANT A CAREER IN COOKING? DO YOU WANT GOOD BENEFITS? DO YOU WANT FAMILY/WORK LIFE BALANCE? DO YOU LIKE GIVING BACK TO SOCIETY AND PROVIDING SUPPORT TO CALGARIAN SENIORS? IF SO….
We currently have a part-time permanent opportunity for a COOK at Silvera for Seniors. What is so exciting about this position is that the Cook support’s our Supportive Living Communities located at Westview Community located at 5050-50 Ave S.W. One gets to know and support the many residents along with building internal relationships with your colleagues across Silvera communities.
Come build a career with our committed, high-performing team and make a positive difference in the lives of others.
- Our singular purpose: Live your best life.
- We value accountability, honesty, relationships, and innovation.
Find meaningful work with seniors.
Enjoy working on a high-performance team while making a difference in the lives of independent seniors.
Choose to work at one of our many communities across Calgary. (This position provides this opportunity)
Benefit from flexible hours, shift differentials, benefits, RRSP and career advancement.
This is not a summer position and one must be able to work all shifts as below.
Hours of work:
- Rotational shift work required. All Cooks must be able to work every other weekend and on Tuesday and Friday from 9:00am-5:30PM. (32 hours Bi-weekly)
Reporting to the Dining Services Supervisor, the Cook is responsible for the preparation and delivery of meals as assigned and responsible to act in the capacity of the Dining Services Supervisor in their absence.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for the preparation, delivery of food, organization, and cleanliness of the kitchen and food storage areas to the standard established by Silvera.
- Responsible to serve meals and responsible for the kitchen’s compliance with all safe food handling procedures to meet the standards of Public Health regulations
- Receives and controls the inventory of all food, non-food supplies, and chemicals in cooperation with the Dining Services Supervisor.
- Participates in and promotes Silvera’s Health and Safety program. Reports any safety issues to the Community Manager or designate and is knowledgeable in emergency procedures and can act accordingly.
- Responsible for ensuring the proper working order of all kitchen equipment
- Required to travel between all communities to relieve other cooks on vacation or extended leaves of absence
- Must have at least one (1) year institutional/large batch cooking experience.
- Must possess the ability to organize and supervise support staff when necessary
- Must have good communication skills, both oral and written
- Must possess a flexible, willing, and positive attitude
- Must possess a high standard of hygiene and personal appearance
- Must be certified in WHMIS, Food Safe
- Must be able to work independently or as a team member, and must be able to meet deadlines
- Must be a problem solver
- Must be able to relate well with seniors
What we offer:
- Competitive wage & Total Rewards Package
- Training is provided
- Personally, rewarding work as part of a great team
Silvera is a leading advocate and caring provider of homes and services for older Calgarians. We offer non-profit service to more than 1,450 residents and have continued to do so proudly for over 60 years.
Silvera employees create positive impact every day. Together, we serve people who make their home with us, including in our supportive living communities, which provide meals, housekeeping, and Active Aging programs. Silvera provides a respectful, inclusive, diverse workplace. Our employees work hard to make our communities the safe, comfortable places residents call home. We offer employment opportunities in dining, housekeeping, maintenance, and administration. We reward staff through training, recognition, and opportunities for growth. We offer flexible full-time, part-time, and casual hours, and lieu time. Our communities are in all quadrants of Calgary and our head office is located on Macleod Trail near Chinook Centre.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Due to the current high volume of applications, we will not be accepting phone calls about individual applications.
All pre-screen questions must be answered completed for an application to be processed.
In accordance with the Alberta Accommodation Standards, all successful candidates are required to complete a criminal record check prior to commencing employment and all offers made are contingent upon a successful criminal record check.
For further information on us, please visit our website: