COOP – Construction Field Technician
Job title: COOP – Construction Field Technician
Job description: Reporting to the Project Engineer and Survey Supervisor, the Construction Field Technician student will be an integral part of the Diavik Project delivery team.
The Construction Field Tech COOP student will have an opportunity to provide both survey and quality control functions for the construction of the processed kimberlite containment facility dam raise and the progressive reclamation of the site’s waste rock pile:
- Survey responsibilities may include quantity surveys, layout, and field supervision of a large scale earthworks project.
- Quality control functions may include materials testing, crush production stockpiling QC, earthworks construction QC.
- Interface and coordinate with Construction, Engineering, and Operations personnel to track and control daily activities in accordance with design details and specifications.
- Actively participate in site safety and quality control/survey processes.
About you To be successfully considered for this role, you must have the following qualities:
- Highly self-motivated;
- Outstanding organizational and participative skills;
- Excellent communication skills are required to liaise with consulting engineers, contractors and management;
- Have a valid driver’s license;
- Previous experience on a mine site is an asset but not necessary;
- Previous experience with GPS survey and material testing is an asset
- Experience with drafting software such as Civil 3D or similar would be an asset
What’s on offer
- A work environment where safety is always the number one priority
- A competitive salary
- An ambitious, exciting and rewarding experience
- Opportunity to build relationships with the Rio Tinto team and community
- A great chance to prepare yourself to join our Graduate Development Program
Where you will be working The Diavik Diamond Mine, in Canada’s Northwest Territories, is located on a 20 square kilometer island, called East Island, in Lac de Gras, a lake located 300 kilometers northeast of Yellowknife. It is 100 kilometers north of the tree line and 210 km south of the Arctic Circle. Workers at the mine site commute to the island by plane.
Our diamonds from Diavik are stunning white gems, produced to the highest possible standards of safety and integrity. At Diavik, the safety of our people is our number one priority. We will never compromise this. Having all of the people who come to our mine site return home to their families and loved ones at the end of every roster or visit is our number one goal.
The schedule is currently a 3 weeks on /3 weeks off rotation that includes working weekends and holidays. The rotations consist of 12-hour daily shifts. You are flown in/out of the Diavik site for your shifts and all accommodation and meals are included in camp. Pick up location options currently are Halifax, Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver and Yellowknife.
Every Voice Matters We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that varieties of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Applications for this summer 2021 COOP role close January 24th, 2021*.
Please note, in order to be considered for this role you must finish the pre-screening questions.
*Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy please submit your application as soon as possible.
All progress begins with pioneers – at Rio Tinto , it begins with you.
Location: Yellowknife, NT
Job date: Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:26:49 GMT